I am nervous, I am tired, I am excited, I am poeping myself...... The training seems so daunting, the prep seems never-ending, the prep of the maps seems complicated....
I guess this is the time I ask WHY. Beyond the excitement of such a big goal and the chatters over coffee or dinner there are hours and hours of training, loss of rest, hours of bike prep, a sore ass, a semi-constant bubble of excitement or nervousness in my tummy or just plain nauseousness with nerves. Why, why, why? What on earth drives me to these big goals?
- They make for good stories
- They make great memories
- I feel strong and capable
- There is no sense of wasting my strong, super body - with all its lumps and bumps and bruises and scars
- There is no feeling of wasted opportunities. My sense is that there is not much chance of, when I pop my clogs, that I will feel I have missed out on chances that were in front of me. There is one life I have. I would like to think that when I do die I will go screetching into my grave (in what ever form it takes) with scars and scrapes with a glass of bubbly in one hand whooping and whooing knowing I had the most brilliant ride of my life!
- There is that elusive feeling of challenges - doing the challenges, being challenged, over-coming the challenges, living, breathing, BEING the challenge